I don’t normally do the ‘big linkage thing’ in this way, but the end of year retrospective is more than a little bit special – so please consider this a huge one-off!
This Reality Podcast: No 97
Episode 97: 62 minutes running time
This week it’s time for This Reality Podcast’s -look back in anger’ as the two presenters, Soph and Bren, review many facets of 2009, and make a prediction or two for 2010.
* The Cheese Game celebrates New Year’s Day with the Victorian Variant (and brings a quick-death victory for Soph because Bren gets brain-dead)
List Of The Year (2009):
The segments between the music comprise our retrospective of 2009. Some of these categories and their contents are very hotly discussed whilst others have a universal agreement. Let us know your views on this lot:
- Best Films Of The Decade: Monsters Inc, Taken, Hot Fuzz, The Bourne franchise
- Best Film Of The Year: Up!, District 9, The Boat That Rocked
- Worst Film Of The Decade: Anchorman, The Legend Of Ron Burgundy
- Worst Film Of The Year: New Moon
- Best New Band: inLight (even though, technically speaking, we discovered them last year)
- Best Book: Small Wars by Sadie Jones, The Other Hand by Chris Cleave
- Best Album: Reservoir by Fanfarlo (Bren), A World Next Door To Yours, The Parlotones (Soph)
- Best EP: Old Maps/New Roads, The Good China
- Best Live Set: The Damned (Bren), Warning! Heat Ray! (Soph)
- Worst Live Set: Scouting For Girls/Sugababes
- Best Discovery: The showers at Cornbury Festival, The Family Machine, Axis of Awesome, It’s Not Me, It’s You Lily Allen
- Worst Discovery: It’s Not Me, It’s You, Lily Allen
- Biggest Disappointment: the film New Moon (Soph)
- Best Trip Abroad: Tuscany, Munich, Eire (Soph & Bren)
- Best Gig: Muse, Munich
Keep Your Eyes On These Names for 2010:
- The Boxer Rebellion (Bren says will be huge)
- As Tall As Lions (Bren says will, from the media perspective, be the Red Hot Chilli Peppers of 2010 (whatever happened to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers anyway?)
We also discussed the musical brilliance of:
- Miriam Clancy and her freshly-discovered, outstanding album -Magnetic’
- Missy Higgins and her heartbreakingly-excellent artistry on -On A Clear Night’
You want more?
How about the musical goodness that we offer you that this week includes:
- The Parlotones, Giant Mistake (http://www.myspace.com/theparlotones)
- The Witches, Lost Without (http://www.myspace.com/witchesband)
- The Good China, All/Nothing (http://www.myspace.com/thegoodchinaband)
- Axis of Awesome, How To (3) (http://www.myspace.com/axisofawesomemusic)
- Fanfarlo, I’m A Pilot (http://www.myspace.com/fanfarlo)
As ever, this show was recorded *live* in Studio L in rural Oxfordshire and recorded in one take with no after-show editing or post-production mucking about.
While we were sitting in the studio recording the show we were also Twittering live. Why don’t you come on over and follow the podcast on This Reality Podcast twitter feed.
To stream this one episode of the podcast to your desktop just click here or you can right-click on that link and save it to your computer and listen to it later. Or why not add it to your iTunes and listen to it on your iPhone or iPod or mp3 player wherever you go? Better than radio!
Did you know that you can send in your email or audio contributions to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave comments on the website?
If you are a band or a recording artist and you would like to send your music in to the podcast, just email us or do the MySpace thing at http://www.myspace.com/thisrealitypodcast or email us.
All of the tracks in this podcast are featured and played with the generous permission of the artists and/or their management.
Now go and visit their websites, tell them where you heard them and let them know how much you love their work! And treat yourself, buy a little piece of their work â€“ recording artists have to eat, you know!
If you would like to contribute your thoughts to This Reality Podcast or air your views on any of the topics we’ve discussed (or anything else that you want to), just drop us a line. Email us at: email@example.com. Or if you prefer you can leave your comments (or words of abuse or encouragement) in our drop zone at http://drop.io/thisrealitypodcast.
Or you can just leave your thoughts on the website at http://www.thisrealitypodcast.com.
And if you are interested in what we have played in the past, just hop on over and take a look at our playlist.