So the phishers/scammers are at it again and this time they’re almost but not quite clever.
An email screeched in to the podcast’s gmail account, you can see a screenshot of it below or Click here for a pdf version of the full email
I have several problems with this, but by the reports in the media, a number of people are falling for this phishing scam.
My problems are simple:
- It is not in English, it is written in something that closely approximates English, but no British clearing bank would surely send such rubbish out? And the sign-off, given that this communication is supposed to be from a bank,Â is just pathetic. Why not put a few kisses on the bottom (oo-er) too?
- It is incredibly badly typed. The use of multiple trailing full-stops, the use of the hash-sign. Has HSBC taken to employing 14-year-old schoolchildren to write their customer service letters now? Erm, no.
- It has spelling mistakes on it. Really.
- The server in the ‘click here’ link is based in Taipei, Taiwan – that well-known bastion of British banking.
- So it is an email written in something that approximates but is not quite English. It is an email that is written incredibly badly. It is an email with a link to a website in Taipei.
Hmmm, is there anyone who is still feeling warm and fluffy over this email?
Here’s the double clincher; there are absolutely no names or telephone numbers on the email.
So out of a confidence score of a minimum zero and a maximum 10, my confidence level in this email being genuine is minus 12.
Why so low?
Because our little podcast doesn’t have a bank account, not with anyone, let alone HSBC.
It’s a fake. And here’s the html text of the email (just to grab some google traffic in case anyone is searching for information on it):
We regret having to terminate the account with us.
Please be advised of the following causes.
# Reasons:- The account would be effectively terminated due to the recent information gathered from the profile does not match the background data.
# You have refused to follow the link which were sent to the email recently.
# You logged on immediately you verified the account which caused the verification been canceled. This may be our increasing inflation problem which have forced your account to close down several of its operations.
The account will cease operation effective 16/07/2010..
Our automated security systems have indicated that access to the account will be blocked after 17/07/2010.
To cancel the termination process>>
Please DO NOT CLICK HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES – UNLESS YOUR NAME IS TONY BLAIR, IN WHICH CASE YOU DESERVE TO BE RIPPED OFF YOU SLIMY PIECE OF DOGSHIT to verify.
If you have already logged on or if you need to login before verifing the account, please logout before you click the above.
It seems reasonable that the login process needs to invalidate the session and perform an automatic logout before succeeding any attempt on subsequent verification.
Please do not login after you have verified the account within 72 hours, to avoid
duplicate access records in our database as this could cause the account being suspended again.
We regret any inconvenience caused…
We appreciate your business!
Administrative Department Team
Issued for UK use onlyÂ Â |Â Â Â©Â 2002 – 2010